Personal Protection Package
Peace of mind with the Personal Protection Package.
To help take the hassle out of traveling, Hertz makes a broad insurance protection package available to you that includes Personal Accident Insurance with Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Medical Expense and Personal Effects Coverage. The benefits of each are outlined below. Please note that these products are not available separately and must be taken in combination.
Personal Protection Package allows you to elect accidental death and dismemberment benefits, limited medical expense benefits and personal effects coverage for you and your traveling companions during the rental period
- Medical Expense $10,000 (Dental maximum of $250); Accidental Death & Dismemberment $175,000; Personal Effects $1,800 ($250 Deductible) Terms and conditions may vary by state*
*Personal Accident Insurance (NY/WA) provides $175,000 of accidental death and dismemberment and up to $3,500 in medical expenses.
Accident Death and Dismemberment Section
Maximum Limit: $175,000 for renter and passengers*
Covered losses listed in table
Accident must occur during rental period
If more than one loss is sustained as a result of the same accident, only the largest applicable amount will be paid out. Maximum to be paid out is 100%
*Terms and Conditions may vary by state. Personal Accident Insurance (NY/WA) provides $175,000 of accidental death and dismemberment.
Loss of % of Maximum Limit Life 100% Both Hands or Both Feet 100% Sight of Both Eyes 100% One Hand and One Foot 100% Either Hand or Foot AND Sight of One Eye 100% Either Hand or Foot 50% Sight of One Eye 50%
% of Maximum Limit
Both Hands or Both Feet
Sight of Both Eyes
One Hand and One Foot
Either Hand or Foot AND Sight of One Eye
Either Hand or Foot
Sight of One Eye
Medical Expense Benefit Section
We will provide benefits up to $10,000 ($250 maximum for dental) for Reasonable and Customary Charges associated with confinement to a hospital; treatment by a physician; transportation to or from a hospital by a professional ambulance service; and/or services rendered by a registered nurse within 30 days of the date of an accident that caused the injury or the onset of the sickness, provided you receive initial treatment by a physician during the rental period.
When are you covered section - update with the following – Change to ‘If you elect coverage…’
If you elect coverage, the benefits for you apply to losses incurred during your rental period, regardless of whether you are actually in the car. Your traveling companions (passengers) are also covered. The first renter to sign the Rental Agreement shall be considered the renter.
What if I’m injured section
Medical Expense Benefit provides up to $10,000* in medical expenses for treatment of injuries or sickness that occur during your rental period , provided treatment is rendered within 30 days of the accident or sickness. Additionally, PAI will provide up to $175,000 to you or your beneficiary in the event of an accidental death or dismemberment, provided your loss occurs within 90 days of the accident
*Terms and Conditions may vary by state. *Personal Accident Insurance (NY/WA) provides up to $3,500 in medical expenses.
This plan does not cover any loss caused by or resulting from:
1. intentionally self-inflicted Injury, suicide, or attempted suicide of the Insured while sane or insane;
2. Normal Pregnancy or Childbirth, other than Unforeseen Complications of Pregnancy, or elective abortion of the Insured;
3. war or act of war, whether declared or not, participation in a civil disorder, riot, or insurrection;
4. commission of or attempt to commit a felony by the Insured;
5. Mental, Nervous or Psychological Disorder;
6. being under the influence of drugs or narcotics, unless administered upon the advice of a Physician or intoxication above the legal limit;
7. any Loss that occurs at a time when this coverage is not in effect;
8. participation in motor sport, or motor racing, including training or practice for the same;
9. operating or learning to operate any aircraft, as student, pilot, or crew;
10. PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION: The Company will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition (excluding any condition from which death ensues) of an Insured which, within the 180 day period immediately preceding and including the Insured’s coverage effective date: (a) first manifested itself, worsened, became acute or had symptoms which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) for which care or treatment was given or recommended by a Physician; (c) required taking prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription drugs or medicines.
The following exclusions also apply to the Medical Expense Benefit:
Unless otherwise provided by this plan Benefits will not be provided for the following:
1. routine physical examinations;
2. mental health care;
3. replacement of hearing aids, eye glasses, contact lenses, and sunglasses;
4. routine dental care;
5. any service provided by the Insured or a Family Member;
6. alcohol or substance abuse or treatment for the same;
7. Experimental or Investigative treatment or procedures;
8. care or treatment which is not Medically Necessary, except for related reconstructive surgery resulting from trauma, infection or disease;
The following exclusions also apply to Accidental Death & Dismemberment:
Benefits will not be provided for the following:
1. loss caused by or resulting directly or indirectly from Sickness or disease of any kind;
2. stroke or cerebrovascular accident or event; cardiovascular accident or event; myocardial infarction or heart attack; coronary thrombosis; aneurysm.
Exclusions may vary by state
Filing a PAI claim
Claims must be submitted within 90 days of the date of loss, or as soon as possible. Terms and conditions may vary by state. Please review your policy or certificate by rental state for details.
What PEC Covers
PEC insures against risk of loss, theft or damage to help protect your personal belongings while renting from Hertz. PEC coverage applies throughout the entire rental period. PEC is insurance protection and pays in addition to any other policy you may have (such as a Homeowner’s policy). However, your benefits provided by other coverage may be affected by the PEC benefit. PEC includes those personal effects owned by you and your traveling companions, traveling with you during the rental period. PEC Coverage is not available in Missouri.
Coverage Limits*: content changes
- Up to $500 for the first item, and thereafter $500 for each addition item
- Up to an overall maximum of $1,800 for all claims during any rental period, subject to a Deductible of $250
- Items over $150 must be accompanied by original receipts
*In NY, PEC provides up to $1,500 per renter for loss, theft or damage to personal effects. In WA, PEC provides up to $1,800 per renter for loss, theft or damage to personal effects.
Benefits will not be provided for any Loss, or damage to, caused by, or resulting in whole or in part from:
1. animals, rodents, insects or vermin;
3. motor vehicles, aircraft, boats, boat motors, ATV’s and other conveyances;
4. artificial prosthetic devices, false teeth, any type of eyeglasses, sunglasses, contact lenses, or hearing aids;
5. keys, notes, securities, accounts, currency, deeds, food stamps, bills, or other evidences of debt, or tickets;
6. money, stamps, stocks and bonds, postal or money orders;
7. property shipped as freight, or shipped prior to the Departure Date;
8. contraband, illegal transportation or trade;
9. items seized by any government, government official or customs official;
10. defective materials or craftsmanship;
11. normal wear and tear;
PEC Proof of Loss (replace PEC does not cover section)
All losses by theft must be reported to police or other authority within 24 hours of robbery or theft.
How to file a PEC Claim
Claims must be submitted within 90 days of the date of loss, or as soon as possible. Terms and conditions may vary by state. Please review your policy or certificate for details
PAI with AD&D/Medical Expense and PEC coverages are underwritten by ACE Property & Casualty Insurance Company and ACE American Insurance Company.
This information is only a brief summary of LIS, PAI/ESP and PEC coverages. Please review your policy or certificate for all terms, conditions and exclusions.